What It Takes To Win
Whether it’s in the world of sports or the Kingdom of God, all winners display these five traits:
(1) Self-awareness. Winners are honest about their strengths and weaknesses. The Bible says, ‘The Lord searches every heart… If you seek Him, He will be found by you.’ (1 Chronicles 28:9 NIV) In prayer you see yourself as you are. As you read God’s Word, you begin to see yourself as you can be. (
2) Focus. Wherever you are today, be there—because that’s where God is. People who spend their lives waiting for things to get suddenly better are usually disappointed, or die still waiting. Winners live in the present moment. They refuse to be in one place while their mind is in another.
(3) Confidence. Winners overcome anxiety by keeping their eyes on the goal. As they get closer, their confidence increases. Jude writes, ‘Dear friends, by building yourselves up.’ (Jude 1:20 NIV) This is something you must do for yourself, and do daily through prayer and God’s Word.
(4) Toughness. Winners sacrifice the present for the future. They’ve learned to say no to indulgence and yes to discipline, because to them the prize is worth the price. Paul writes: ‘Like an athlete I punish my body… training it to do what it should, not what it wants.’ (1 Corinthians 9:27 TLB)
(5) A game plan. Winners recognise that talent alone isn’t enough; you need a plan to live by. So, have you discovered God’s plan for your life? Are you living by it? If not, talk to Him about it today. It’s one of the most important conversations you will ever have.